Spousal Sponsorship


You can initiate a Spousal Sponsorship for your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner under the following conditions:

They must be at least 18 years old, and the relationship must be authentic and not merely entered into for acquiring permanent resident status in Canada.

Sponsor Eligibility

You may qualify to sponsor a spouse, a common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children residing outside of Canada if:

The individual you wish to sponsor must be a part of the family class under the Canada Family Sponsorship program. If they don’t fall into this category, sponsorship will not be possible.

Eligibility requirements for the sponsor include:

  1. You must be 18 years of age or older.
  2. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  3. You must reside in Canada.

For Canadian citizens living abroad, you can still sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, and/or dependent children with no dependent children of their own. However, you must demonstrate your intention to live in Canada once they secure permanent resident status.

As part of the process, you’ll need to sign an undertaking, committing to providing for the basic needs of the person being sponsored and, if applicable, their dependent children.

Moreover, both you and the person being sponsored will need to sign an agreement, confirming the mutual understanding of your obligations and responsibilities.

Embrace your loved ones’ dream of immigrating to Canada by understanding and fulfilling these prerequisites of the Canada Immigration Application process. For a seamless experience, engage with experienced immigration consultants like Alexander Immigration Services Inc.

Who is a Common-Law and Conjugal Partner?

You can sponsor a person as your common-law partner if:

That person is of the opposite or same sex  and

You and your partner have lived together in a conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year.

Once you have graduated from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution, you may qualify to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. This program offers graduates up to a three-year open work permit which will allow you to earn valuable work experience. You do not need to have a job offer to get an open work permit.

Additionally, Canada allows foreign students who have completed their studies in Canada and have gained a certain amount of work experience within Canada to apply for immigration to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

You may be eligible to sponsor a spouse or common-law partner or accompanying dependent child from inside Canada if:

You are 18 years of age or older;

You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;

The person you want to sponsor qualifies as a spouse or common-law partner or accompanying dependent child, in-Canada class;

You live in Canada and continue to live in Canada after the sponsored person gets permanent resident status;

You and your spouse or common-law partner both sign an agreement confirming that each of you understands your obligations and responsibilities;

You sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic needs of your spouse, common-law partner or accompanying dependent child;


For sponsorship purposes, both spouses and common-law partners or accompanying dependent child must:

Live with you in Canada;

Have a valid passport or travel document;

Be 18 years old or older; and

Be your spouse or common-law partner for genuine reasons and not primarily for the purpose of getting permanent residence in Canada.

Spousal Sponsorship is a complex process requiring extensive documentation and preparation, and even the slightest error can lead to a refusal. Contact Alexander Immigration Services Inc. to reunite with your spouse, and to prepare a professional package that will provide you as an applicant with the best chances to be sponsored.


An Expert Advisory For Great Value For Visa





Scroll to top